I am not writing anytime soon and I hope everyone would understand that I just want to focus on my corporate job now.
It’s been a year, but I haven’t totally gone incognito. I wanted to focus on my dissertation and the rest of my energy went to writing contents for Leeds Beckett University and Leeds Business School whilst simultaneously doing random travails hither and thither. I know right, I was just trying to sound sophisticated with my words. The truth, I was really busy uncovering the different tabs of my seemingly picturesque life. England made me experience everything: slog, rugged and cherry. Management trainee, hotel receptionist, waitress, casino valet, teacher, event coordinator, occasional worker and many more just to survive – the slog part. Heartaches, rejections, abandonment, failures, loss, anxiety and few more which almost polarised me completely – the rugged part. Wins, celebrations, acquisitions, friendship , connections, travels, romantic affair which brought my body and soul back together – the cherry part.
Good news is…I already graduated from my MBA last July 2022. Hard work paid off as I graduated with distinctions. Distinctions is equivalent to first in PH standard. Happy to announce also that in a month time, I will be trotting the streets of Cebu again probably in my white hard hat an neon vest. Yes, and that is for good. I will be back to handle the Commercial Leasing and Operations of CLI hopefully bringing fresh perspectives learned from here to beef up the department.
Anyhoo, I am not sure if all of you have read my latest post. Surely some did as I have received a number of emails with interesting questions. Hence, here is a little something.
I have found K or he has found me. Whichever. Everything that I wrote a year ago speaks and encompasses the K I am with today. It’s uncanny. It’s mysterious but as what Oscar Wilde says, “the mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death”. Just when I was about to give up finding romantic love, love magically appears out of nowhere in the most surprising affair. Glory be, the fictional K was animated. Looking at K now from the CCTV monitor makes me ask the universe – what have I done to deserve this love. He’s exquisite and I look forward to tend that exquisiteness incessantly.
Everything I have now is all I could ever ask for. I am finally taken, not taken for granted but officially abducted by the character I was only imagining last year. Well nurtured. Well cared. Ultimately loved. I guess my va-va-voom weight could tell and probably my infectious smile as well. Although part of me still worries with all the what-ifs from my insecure psyche. The most terrorising above all is the absurd ween that I might just be the journey not the destination. It will surely break me but at least in this existence I have experienced the magic and spark of a great unexpected love brought by the cupids. The days and months I won’t be seeing K would also handicapped me. I don’t know if I will ever see him again once I go back home? Hence, composing my very self to be strong using pinches of reservations.
There’s so much to write. There’s so much I could tell but I will leave it here for now so I could get back to him and make the most of our numbered moments here.
Editor’s Note: Wrote this from the back office lovingly looking at him from the monitor whilst he is working. Also, I didn’t expect that I will be writing love contents on this site. For the longest time, I was planning to write about studying abroad, getting a scholarship, surviving in the foreign land as an International Student, etc., in the hope to help other dreamers as well. Big plans for all of these, but I just couldn’t get to write it here as I thought that the articles I wrote for the Uni’s site and all the videos Uni and I have created will be enough so I could keep this site personal as it should be.
Here are some articles published before:
Today is just about going with the flow. No particular theme or leitmotif. Merely, my brain is just itching to write something or anything. My fingertips are restless to snick the keyboard. My heart is thumping, and I can’t say no to her beat.
Oh, where do I start?
The past months have been, let’s say, crazy and expectedly unexpected. I came to England 6 months ago to fulfil my dreams of getting a Master’s Degree in Business. Can you believe that? It finally happened after years and years of painstakingly working my way. All those sombre juggles, ruffling applications, deranged exams and reviews, and stingy pulses to prepare myself for the big leap.
Yes, coming to England with literally no relative or no one to cling on to really put me into tests. Probably even harder than GMAT, GRE and IELTS. You start navigating your ways but at the same time you don’t know which way you are going to sweep into – highway, freeway, expressway, or no way! It could probably be any way as what really matters is reaching the point of assembly. Innit?
I had also many retrogresses which steered me to apathy. It’s one of those moments when you bet your entire life on something veritably germane, yet you end up taking an abominable result. Like why! Next thing you know, you just want to tuck yourself in bed for days and days until you slowly pick up those positive chis again to move forward, or will you? Perhaps, this is the reason why I couldn’t start any article relative to my MBA studies. It scares me. I thought that sharing content would be premature as I have not reached the crest where I could say, “Yey, I have conquered the boulders and crossed the alps.” Tell me, how could I be of great influence when I am even hanging my very self on the precipice! Hang on. I can’t yet, and I’m sorry, I too need those reinforcements.
Soberly, I am still righto (pinky), as the brits’d always say, but I cannot help to worry at times. I am doing well in my studies, and I am dedicating my complete psyche to be successful. I also have a strong support system back in my home country – beautiful people showing TLC in every way, yes, from miles away! However, you just can’t help it, do you? When your brain starts to open too many tabs, it makes you off balance. It makes you think how you will shut some, keep the good tabs, so you can at least have a good night sleep. Overthinking ushers nowhere and I defo discourage you to make this a habit. Nah! Nah!
I guess, the question really is – will I survive until the end? I don’t know yet, but I know His Almighty will never take me for granted. It’s getting better. I have both adapted and adopted well. Met great people. Kept some. Wed out few. Reconnected with old folks. Disassociated from some. Found my future!? – -what’s taking you so long K? – -Gag, I don’t want to talk about the latter yet as it seems very distant! Let’s just say, I would have to dedicate an entire page for that chapter, if ever.
Anyway, enough with the phooey – what I basically want to bequeath is that, when you’re lost and you seem to think like there’s no way, there is always the God’s way. When you’re totally weak and you think that you can no longer carry on, God sends people to enable you. He will provide a good ride so you can continue the travel and reach the journey’s end.
I say its better yeah but why am I cleping it as crazy and unexpectedly expected? It’s what I feel as of this writing. Too many memoirs resonating different levels of lessons. I am still halfway through my studies and about to commence my dissertation. Apart from that, I also have 3 modules to claw. I’m quite excited and nervous for what the next days will bring. One thing is for sure, I am fastening my seatbelt well as the ride could be bumpy, fast, or curvy. Collision can also be reckoned knowing the traffic and the reckless’, but at least, I have already checked the wheel’s airbag and I think I’ll be safe. Again, will I survive if it crashes? Well, I will. I must. I can. Only then I could advance to the next step if I trounce this stage.
What’s next then?
I don’t know. Finishing my MBA. Living in or Leaving England? Finding K? Starting a real family? Build my career? Be the most sought after Cebuana negotiator? Advanced Teaching Courses? God will lead the way, though I know my heart seems so full these days with the energy coming from a mere mythical yearning . That thump thump parapapampam sound motivates me to just keep on moving conscientiously. Yikes! KKK. See you next year. I am ready!
What now! What’s next?
This pestilence undeniably has brought so much malaise to all of us. Things are never the same and perhaps it would take years to fully adopt such new normalcy. They say that culling is God’s natural order, but is it? Or are there some conspiracy theories behind this daunting Covid-19. Will leave that to you so you too can rack your brain.
One zillion bull-headed throngs. Half trillion comatose bleats. Ten million compassionate sobs. Seven million overwhelming cases. Four hundred thousand horrifying deaths. Tons of obscured anomalies and ad hoceries.
Yes, the numbers are jolting but let us not forget that there is still that one thing. Ask yourself what had happened after the Black Death. We all know the answers since history books and some online platforms have made it get-at-able.
So for the :
Bull-headed throngs. Tell me, why are you being so stubborn? Why is it that a simple stay- at-home-pleas cannot be easily shadowed? Which part of the language you do not understand? Are you bored or you just literally want to test the patience of our bureaucrats, front-liners and all those chaps who are risking their lives? Why would you go out with groupies for a gala? Why do you have to hustle in the crowd for some seasonal eatables? Haven’t you heard of social distancing? Perhaps, you haven’t just realised yet the impact of the pandemic until it’ll hit you and your loved ones hard.
Comatose bleats. Except for those well-grounded expressions, some bleats are just really kaput and imbecile. Hence, the word comatose. I am just dumbstruck by the many people acting like virtuosos in many fields. Tell me, why do you want to oust Officials in this trying times? Why are you harassing our front-liners? Why are you discriminating our folks? Why are you making dummy social media accounts just to spread fake news? Do we really need this attitude now or we need more synergy and ministrations?
Compassionate sobs. Overwhelming cases. Horrifying deaths. Sending my love and prayers from the corners of my room to wherever you are right now – heaven or earth. My heart bleeds every time I hear additional casualties or a new individual contracting the virus. I probably couldn’t plumb the depths of your pain but may your affliction serves as our groundwork to behave.
Tons of obscured anomalies and ad hoceries. Let’s face it. Several people during the Enhanced Community Quarantine (ECQ) took advantage of the amelioration program of the Philippine Government. The kind of listing-their-relatives-cats-and-dogs-like. Political rivalries were also noticed as closing borders of one city from other political groups for commodity distributions. In effect, it took away people’s chance of receiving more goods as an additional aid for their daily needs. Some groups who are wholeheartedly helping are being ostracised and those doing it for publicity are greatly revered. Treachery, exploit, inequality, among others, were also observed. Salute to our honest public servants and volunteers, and to our brave front-liners. In both conscience and kernel, you know you’re worth.
We are in a situation to which unity, awareness, empathy and nobility must be exercised and utilised. Kindly reserve all your enigmatic urges, pointless protests, unsolicited opinions and non-sensical biases for later. It will never bring any good. In PH alone, we already have 20 thousand ++ cases, yet as denizens, some of us are still lackadaisical with our very own safety and protection.
What happened after the Black Death? What is that one thing? To put it simply, it is…
THE RENAISSANCE. THE REBIRTH.
A reverberating reminder that this will pass if we all care and provide support to each other. This will pass if we all act as humans realising that the virus cannot be seen by our human eyes. This will pass if we keep a proactive and scrupulous attitude. I don’t know when but it will end, and we’ll all be sieved individuals after this. May we all remain cautious and conscious as we journey to the end of this fray.
Great things will happen. People who survived will live much longer, smarter and healthier. Economy will bloom. Global network will revolutionise. Employment rate will increase. Crime rate will plummet. Religions will thrive. The Black Death was even worse, yet the world was able to resuscitate. I am looking forward to the world’s rebirth after this. Hope you look forward with me too, lovies.
Work From Home aides-memoire
A reminder to all chaps who WFH or with colleagues who WFH at the puff of this unprecedented COVID situation:
(1) Keep your values intact, quid pro quo. I am blessed to work in a company to which employees come first. My colleagues are not laid off, our benefits are not severed and our bimonthly salaries always come on time; and so, let’s reciprocate that altruism and do our part. Any company who adopted this Work From Home (WFH) arrangement (I believe), has only 3 unsung sine qua nons for its people: Honesty, Productivity and Commitment. Work as schedule dictates you. Are you being checked if you are before your PC or Laptop screen on time and is hollered every 10 minutes just to confirm if you are really working? I bet you don’t experience this kind of mental strain and physical torture but my brother-in-law, who is an Engineer/IT Specialist working remotely, does.
(2) Have a straitlaced schedule and exercise respect. Be sensitive to your colleagues’ personal ticks. When this WFH arrangement started about 2 months back, I made a schedule on how my typical M-S would look like. I strictly work from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm M-F ONLY. S-S are devoted to my rest and recreational toots (online Francais & Creative Writing classes and some random light workout). I don’t take meetings beyond 6PM, holidays or weekends. I don’t answer any calls and SMS outside the prescribed work schedule unless (1) a message is coming from the “royal family” or (2) a matter of life-and-death situation that has to be addressed immediately ie at the wee hour today, I received a call from one of our merchants with concerns on its store’s fire suppression and gas leaks.
WFH doesn’t mean you have to be overdemanding to yourself or with your colleagues. If you have truly rendered your effort, time and productivity during that required period, then your decency should be respected at all times BY ANYONE. Courtesy breeds respect. Respect breeds trust. You owe that courtesy to ANYONE you’re working and dealing with, even if the rank is lower than yours.
Another thing is when setting up e-meetings. (1) if you are the host, kindly please alarm the bell for notices first. Don’t just call people and insist to meet them in 10-15 minutes. You can peer in asking this question first: “Hey are you available to meet?” If the answer is yes, then your whims are granted. If it’s a no, then please understand that the person might be caught up with something or have other important matters to deal with. (2) If you are the host and you suddenly have other important meetings on the same schedule, please alarm the bell of notices (again) beforehand that the meeting has been postponed or cancelled. We all have a pre-planned calendar and that dissipated time waiting for you in Zoom, Viber, Hangout or whatever platform it was(is) could have been used for other things needing overriding attention. Again, at least be sensitive. Be courteous. (3) If you are one of the attendees and suddenly you cannot make it, then, kindly send a representative to take notes on your behalf. Brief your sub so he/she may not be flabbergasted during the e-meeting.
(3) Speak to your boss for any hint of nonplus feelings. Try to open supple discussions with your boss. Early April 2020, I told my boss about my disquietude. Although, I was religiously working from 8:30 am to 6:00 pm plait with deliberate ironclad commitment, I didn’t feel gratified at all. I work in Leasing and Retail Operations and as a Department Head, I tried exploring all department initiatives even those beyond-the-box-edges just to keep my calendar in rainbows. I filled it with meetings and the pre-meeting invites from other departments. I also reviewed plans and drawings relentlessly, set schedule with all my merchants and that quintessential checking and sending out of emails. Looked a lot at the hindsight but I missed the action at the forthsight – the beautiful noise and the graceful chaos (OPERATIONS) and the scouting of potential merchants (LEASING IN ACTION). No matter how much I deputised each day (that time), I still ended up having a lot of trance and reverie click-clacks.
As we spoke over the phone, my boss was somewhat painting on my panache how her typical day looked like and how much work she pinned each day during the quarantine. It was very inspiring and I God-willingly told her if she could accord the Department some additional works to at least assuage my discontent of feeling half-full-days. Uh-uh! It is never about self-flagellation nor self-deprecation but more of self-actualisation.
***B: Are you sure of what you are asking and are you sure that you wouldn’t be stressed out with let’s say, irate buyers?
***Me: (Cajoling in my language). I’m good at that. Resilient as ever.
***B: Alright, this Department needs help, I will tell the head.
Wherefore, my Department was given the additional tasks and up to this time, we’re riveted performing at nonpareil.This is never a show-off, nor seeking pardon for all the department/interdeparment decision mishaps I’ve made in the past, nor a promotion agenda (I think being an executive at 28 is already a milestone for now). I just really wanted to feel useful and satisfied in all aspect. The company has been doing a lot for its people, some of my colleagues (front-liners) still reports to work despite the risks, some lends a hand for commodity distribution, while I am just at home doing less. I wanted to help in my own little way. I am also jovial that my team members have the same frame of mind and enthusiasm as I do. They were both receptive to the idea and both thought it’s an opportunity to show that #LeasingCares. To Ivan and Irish, you have proven the posit of the life-advice guru Kevin Kelly, that, being enthusiastic is worth 25 IQ points. Apart from helping, I am sure that you also coup d’œil company’s values and precedence.
BTW, salute to my CSR friends across the globe.“)
(4) Take leaves for personal errands or ask for letup consent from your boss. I’d really feel guilty if my work-time is being eaten up by my personal errands. Treachery is the more appropriate word, I guess. We are being paid for our service and effort, we should yield what’s expected and rightful then. The company deserves that! Kindly try to do your thing – groceries, going to banks, visiting relatives, taking online classes, working out, etc – outside the prescribed work schedule. Better yet, ask a consent that you’ll be in a recess for a while for so-and-so reasons.
(5) Limit your social media prominence while working. Leisurely, start to detach yourself from cosmopolitan pleasures and your life will be even more meaningful. Multitasking is okay but I don’t think this is the most sensible paradigm. I keep my messenger open since some salient communications and updates are sent through but I only browse my FB scarcely, weekends the most. I even rarely pin a thumb (I am in IG every day but check by night time or early morning though).
(6) Be thankful. Working from home is indeed challenging due to myriad of reasons- intermittent internet connections, sporadic phone signals, the howls of your domestic breeds, the spur-of-the-moment teases-and-piques of your kin and next of kin, the constant battle against distraction and the relentless note-to-self to keep sane. But hey, you are reading this, so it means you are staying safe in the warmth of your crib. That, my friend, matters most in this unprecedented situation.
(7) Yay, you’ve reached the end and here’s the most important note of all: Please, at all times, regularly and timely pump cerebral spinal fluid through your brain cells and remove all metabolic by-products of the day’s thoughts. SLEEP! That, my friend, is a borrowed line from my favourite sitcom BIG BANG THEORY and was reverberated by Sheldon Cooper. I normally wield this virgule among my friends to sound cool. You can borrow this too to remind yourself that you need sleep to recharge. And by recharging, means, enough hours of sleep should be wangled according to the number of hours recommended for your age.
We all have different strategies and level of comfort on how to do things. We also have recalcitrant limitations. This is not a judgment or a juxtaposition on how you manoeuvre or re-manoeuvre both your smart and stretch goals daily vs mine. If you found this helpful – THANK YOU and CONGRATULATIONS because you are about to embark the journey to self- actualisation . If it offended you – well, perhaps it kicked you through and through. BUT, at the end of the day, you only have to answer to yourself and to that still-small-voice:
- Have I been productive?
- Have I been lackadaisical?
- Have I been honest?
- Have I been helpful?
- Have I done enough?
- Have I shown the right blend of courtesy and respect towards others?
- Have I sent the right tone of email?
- Have I exercised my initiative?
- Have I been both efficient and effective?
- Have I been too torpid to my colleagues just because someone has also been pressuring me?
Be the judge and purr your answers to that still-small-voice. Au revoir!